After you name, select, and assign groups for a new template, a window will open showing the shaded template canvas with bleed and fold marks and two toolbars across the top to help create your design.
Template Toolbar Functions
Here are the editing tools (right to left) and the uses for each:
Top Row Toolbar (Right to Left)
- Show PDF: Creates and downloads to your computer a PDF of the current template version for review
- Save for later: Saves your last changes and closes the window
- Save: Saves your last changes and keeps the template designer window open
- Auto Save: Auto Save automatically saves the changes you have made to your template every 30 seconds so that no work is lost. The Auto Save feature is turned off by default. Click the checkbox to turn Auto Save on.
- Undo: This feature allows you to undo your last few actions as you create your template, up until the last save. The number showing in red next to the Undo button displays how many actions can be undone. The Undo button does not appear until after one or more actions have been taken. The Undo button will not undo text changes within a textbox. Use the textbox editor undo button for that purpose.
Second Row Toolbar (Right to Left)
- Spell Check: Look for words underlined in red to indicate misspellings. Right-click on the words to view suggested corrections. Check the Help section to learn more about enabling spelling check within different browsers.
- Unlocked/Locked: This button is a toggle that locks and unlocks a textbox, image, logo, or hotspot into place on the canvas so that it cannot be inadvertently moved with the “Move Text” button. While in “Scale” mode, you can still move the object even though the locked function remains on.
- Properties: This button displays the Text Properties popup window for a selected textbox only when the “Edit Text” button is active. Click on the textbox that you would like to edit, click Edit Text, and click the Properties button. The popup window allows you to assign properties to the text in the textbox.
- Remove: This button will delete the selected object from the template design
- Arrange: Click on an image or textbox and select this feature to layer objects and elements on the canvas. It is used to bring the selected object in front of other objects or move it behind other objects. A popup window will allow you arrange the image or textbox in relation to the other images and textboxes in your template.
- Rotate: This feature rotates the image or text within a selected hotspot or textbox clockwise in 90-degree increments.
- Scale: Click on an image or textbox and select this button to resize the object. Roll the mouse to the edges of the image and once your mouse turns into an arrow, you are able to resize the imaging by clicking and moving your mouse in the direction that you would like to resize the image or textbox. The up/down screen arrow resizes the image vertically, the left/right screen arrow resizes horizontally, and the diagonal arrow resizes in both directions.
- Crop: In Template Editor, the cropping tool allows you to cut or remove unneeded parts of an image rather than resizing the entire image. It opens a popup box for cropping the selected image, which can then be scaled as needed.
- Duplicate: This tool is used to duplicate a textbox (does not duplicate image or logo hotspots) to easily ensure that multiple textboxes are exactly the same size
- Edit Text: This tool must be selected to edit or ad text and assign text properties. Select a textbox and click this tool to edit the text within the textbox. When cursor is placed within the text, the Text Properties popup window opens to assign text properties. (See section on Text Properties)
- Move Text: Select a textbox and click this button to move a textbox, logo hotspot, or image hotspot on the canvas. The object must be “Unlocked” in order to move it. (See section on Locking)
- Move: This tool is functional only when you are zoomed in on a canvas. It allows you to move the canvas itself to see other areas of your template close up. Select this button and move your mouse in the direction you would like to view. Deselect the button when you no longer want to move the template around.
- Fit on screen: Resets the template size so that the entire template is showing
- Zoom in: Makes the template appear larger so you can examine it more closely
- Zoom out: Makes the template smaller so you can examine the overall template
Third Row Toolbar (Right to Left)
- Set: This button is used to implement changes that have been manually made to the horizontal value (X), vertical value (Y), width value (W), or height value (H) of a textbox or hotspot. The changes will not take effect until the “Set” button is clicked.
- Constrain: When this box is checked (default is “on”) the proportions of the selected object will be maintained. To resize an object proportionately, make sure this box is checked so that changes in width (W) or height (H) will alter both dimensions automatically. If the box is unchecked, width (W) and height (H) can be changed independently. Click the “Set” button to implement the changes.
- H: Height of the image or textbox, in pixels. This value may be changed to alter the height of the object and clicking the “Set” button. See the “Constrain” button for more information.
- W: Width of the image or textbox, in pixels. This value may be changed to alter the width of the object and clicking the “Set” button. See the “Constrain” button for more information.
- Y: The vertical location, in pixels, of the image or textbox on the y-axis. This value may be changed to move the object vertically by entering the desired value and clicking the “Set” button. See the “Constrain” button for more information.
- X: The horizontal location, in pixels, of the image or textbox on the x-axis. This value may be changed to move the object horizontally by entering the desired value and clicking the “Set” button. See the “Constrain” button for more information.
- Insert Media Region: This is used to insert an image hotspot (placeholder for a photo or graphic to be added by the user). When the button is clicked, an image hotspot will appear in the upper left quadrant of the template screen. Drag and size the hotspot as needed.
- Insert Text Region: This is used to insert a textbox. When the button is clicked, a textbox will appear in the upper left quadrant of the template screen. Drag and size the hotspot as needed.
- Insert Logo Region: This is used to insert a logo hotspot. When the button is clicked, a logo hotspot will appear in the upper left quadrant of the template screen. Drag and size the hotspot as needed.